‘Without being religious, Another State of Mind brings together practices, principles and perspectives from various philosophical, spiritual and religious traditions and connects them meaningfully to much-needed wisdom in doing business in the complex twenty-first century world. This book is a great contribution to the wisdom literature.’
Prasad Kaipa, author of the international bestseller From Smart to Wise
Since time immemorial, man has been engaged in the pursuit of wisdom. We are in search of ‘wise’ ideas on ways to cope with daily problems and answers to the everyday judgments and decisions we have to make. How can we make the concept of wisdom more easily accessible for managers and business professionals? What relevance does the concept of wisdom hold for those managers and professionals who are confronted with challenges and who grapple with problems and ambiguities on a daily basis? The authors of ‘Another State of Mind’ go back in cultural history to answer the key question how one can act wisely in the spirit of the present age.
Key features include:
- Coverage of all the major wisdom traditions, including Humanism, Confucianism, Taoism and some of their side branches;
- Written by renowned authors with backgrounds as scholars, executives, governors, practitioners, management teachers and consultants;
- A narrative that originates from writings produced by icons from history such as Confucius, Rumi, Dogen, Spinoza and Camus;
- Connects the wisdom of various traditions with a wide range of management topics: entrepreneurship, governance, innovation, strategy, community building and learning, leadership, organizational development and change, talent development, personal development, engagement, integrity, the art of living and finally wellbeing in organizations;
- Six personal stories of respected top leaders, including a former CEO of the IMF and USA nominated best leader of the year;
- Business cases from globally successful companies such as Tata Steel and Haier; • A deeper insight into the cultural characteristics of China, Japan, India, Nigeria and Western societies.
The perspectives offered in this book demonstrate ways to create value to your personal, professional and organizational life.
About the Editors
Robert J. Blomme is a Full Professor of Organization Behavior at Nyenrode Business University and Director of the Nyenrode Center for Leadership and Management Development.
Bertine van Hoof is the founder of Wisdom in Business, an institution in the Netherlands which conducts teachings and publications on wisdom traditions and its translation into the management practice and business. She has a long-term experience in guiding individuals, teams and organizations in transitions and harvesting their talents.